POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Reflected Illumination? : Re: Reflected Illumination? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflected Illumination?
From: Hugo
Date: 2 Mar 2002 11:08:55
Message: <3c80f917$1@news.povray.org>
> Is it possible to have reflected illumination, that is a light source
> bounces off a mirror, and lights up objects in that newly reflected path?

Hi Data,

Yes it's possible. But it will slow down rendering, depending on how
accurate you want the light to reflect. In some cases it's awfully slow, but
usually not. The feature is called radiosity. This causes all objects to
reflect light, and not just the mirror. But you can adjust how many times
the light will reflect (once might be just enough).

If you're using Pov3.5 beta, it's very easy to activate radiosity because
there is an include file with ready-made setups for many situations. I'm not
sure if this include file is found in older Pov versions, and then you'll
have to experiment with quite a few settings.. Or, you can try the default,
of course.. Radiosity is cool.

MegaPOV and Pov3.5beta also have a feature called "photons" that makes
caustics on specific objects. It's not the same as radiosity. It's only for
glassy objects. I don't have much luck or experience with photons, but other
people have. Maybe they'll post here too.

- UFP, End Transmission -

Regards,
Hugo